This blog describes my 24-day traverse of the Pyrenees from Atlantic to Mediterranean, July 2011.
The Pyrenean Haute Route is around 800km with 42,000 metres of ascent.

Map of the route | Schedule

Stages:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 17 - Graus to Pla de Boet

17th July 2011

HRP - Day 17

Today I was up an away from the Graus campsite before daybreak, to re-join the HRP at Noarre by 7am. On the climb up to Coll de Certascan 2605m the weather wasn't looking too great, and I reached the Refugi de Certascan by 11am, just before it started absolutely chucking it down with rain.

It was quite comforting being inside sheltered from the elements, drinking coffee and having an early lunch. However I wasn't that keen about stepping outside again into the freezing pouring rain. Just after midday I braced myself to continue along the slippery rocky trail, in full waterproofs.

Luckily the rain soon eased, and I found a much better descent to Pla de Boavi than described in the guidebook. I simply followed red and white markers that dropped you into the valley a few hundred metres downstream of the large flat area occupied by schoolkids on a holiday camp.

My target for the afternoon was to see whether I could cross the Port de Boet back into France. The next section of trail was perfectly graded zig-zags through forest that made for rapid progress to the Coll de Sellente 2240m. The trail then got rougher past the Refugi de Cinquantenari, so it took a bit longer than expected to reach the Pla de Boet. It was now after 7pm, and I didn't fancy the 600m climb to Port de Boet so late in the day, so decided to camp at the furthest end of the Pla de Boet and enjoy the evening sunshine.


View HRP - Day 17 in a larger map

No comments: